The most important lessons of HammarbySjöstad are:
- Sustainable urban development requires a holistic approach and the 12 Green Guidelines offer the ingredients for this approach.
- Prioritize densifying areas that are adjacent to the city, even if these are brownfields.
- Various departments from the government, private sector, and academia must all be deeply involved in the planning process.
- A variety of channels (design and financial) must be used to change behaviors and mindsets:
- Life-cycle assessments can reveal the true value of high environmentaldesign standards.